To start the week off, I want to lend out a breakfast recipe from Annie's Edibles recipe book [the one I got from Pat]. The Cinnamon Apple Coffee Cake is super simple, perfect for the busy weeks and we all know everyone is busy. And, of course, it is absolutely delicious. Absolutely. The cake itself is uber moist, made so by the apple bits and creamy buttermilk. The perfect amount of cinnamon and ginger is also added to complement the cake and a crunchy topping rounds out everything most superbly. I hope you thoroughly enjoy this recipe, but I know there won't be a problem with that! .
- Make sure to let the coffee cake cool completely before cutting, otherwise the cake will break apart. Not good.
From Annie's Edibles
2-1/2 c. all purpose flour
1-1/4 c. packed brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
4 tsp. ground cinnamon, divided
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground ginger
3/4 c. vegetable oil
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
3 c. tart apples, peeled, cored and chopped
1 c. buttermilk
- Heat oven to 350°F. Butter and flour 9-inch round pan.
- Mix flour, brown sugar, sugar, 2-1/2 teaspoons cinnamon, salt, and ginger in large bowl.
- Add vegetable oil and stir until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Transfer 3/4 cup mixture into small bowl. Stir in remaining cinnamon into small bowl; set aside.
- Mix baking soda and baking powder into flour mixture. Add apples.
- Whisk buttermilk and egg in another small bowl until blended. Add to apple mixture and stir just until combined. Pour batter into pan and sprinkle reserved topping over batter.
- Bake 45 minutes or until lightly browned.
Yield: 8 servings