10.13.2011

Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Bars

. So I don't have any Foamer news to report this week, our perfect record of 6-0 still stands.  And why have we not tacked on another win [or potential loss, but we won't think about that!]?  Well, Omaha decided to drop a couple sprinkles of rain and the game was cancelled.  Boo to that.  But I guess I'm not too upset about the fact that I didn't have to slosh around in the wet outfield for an hour.  Let's just try again next week, hopefully the weather feels like cooperating.


But, of course, I made some goodies for our final game that didn't make it to the benches for everyone to enjoy.  Though I will say that I think the office was elated our game got cancelled,  because I  brought in the entire pan to work the next day.  The plate was brought back to me [empty] in record time.  No joke, kind of funny actually.

With that said, I don't feel like I need to gush about these bars too much.  The 9.56 minutes it took for these treats to be eaten up at 8:00 A.M. should be enough to convince anyone that they are good.  Gooey Butter Bar good.


If you're not familiar with these bars [which I most definitely was not until my Foamer teammate made the adamant request], they're pretty much just like they sound.  A tender blondie-like base, topped with an ooey-gooey mixture [resembling Pecan Pie] and studded with chocolate chips and pecans.  Each bite is incredibly soft and almost creamy, so soft that I will say that these bars are a little fragile [in a good way].  The chocolate, well it's chocolate.  But the pecans add a lovely crunch and nuttiness to the mix, so don't leave these out [unless you're allergic...I guess]!


Browsing through the hundreds of recipe variations for these bars, I noticed that the majority used cake mixes, which obviously helps if you're in a time crunch.  But I felt like going the homemade route, deciding on the Pecan Chocolate Chip Gooey Butter Bars recipe from Becky Bakes.  Her pictures alone were mouthwatering!  And as I think many can attest, these bars were just as deeee-licious as they look.  I was also amazed at how fast I was able to assemble the bars, one-bowl wonders I tell ya!  So regardless of any busy-ness, you can most definitely fit these into your weekend schedule.  Everyone will thank you .

My Notes:
  • Unfortunately, I overbaked my bars a tad.  Though still good, I was told they weren't as 'gooey' as they're supposed to be.  I baked mine for the 45 minutes called for in the recipe, but just make sure to keep a close watch on the bars after about 30 minutes.  Depending on your oven, they may be ready before the specified time.
  • You can, of course, mix up the add-ins for this recipe.  My thoughts?  White chocolate chips, walnuts, butterscotch chips, milk chocolate chips, dried fruit, peanut butter chips...just to name a few!
From Becky Bakes

Ingredients:
Base:
2 c. plus 4 tbsp. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1-1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 c. butter, softened
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tsp. vanilla extract

Topping:
4 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 tbsp. light corn syrup
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3/4 c.  butter, melted
1 c. packed  light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 egg yolks
1 c. all purpose flour
1 c. chopped pecans
1 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions:
1.  Heat oven to 350F.  Coat 13x9-inch pan with non-stick spray.  Line pan with parchment paper and coat with non-stick spray.  Set aside.


2.  For base, in a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar.  Add in butter, eggs, egg yolks, and vanilla extract and blend until smooth.


3.  Spread batter evenly into prepared pan (batter will be thick).


4.  For topping, in the same  bowl, beat together cream cheese, corn syrup, vanilla extract, butter, brown sugar, salt, eggs, and flour until smooth and light in color. 


5.  Fold in pecans and chocolate chips.  Carefully spread topping over base.


6.  Bake 45 to 55 minutes or until filling has puffed and edgs are set, but the center is just a little wobbly.  Let cool in pan completely before cutting and serving.


Yield: 2 dozen bars

18 comments:

  1. Wow. These look yummy. I would like one right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cindy Haha well then I guess you'll just have to make these this weekend, I know your family will appreciate it ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ummm pretty sure these just went straight to my thighs... and all I did was look at them. Yum Jess! These are on my "to make" list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Holy cow those look good! I'll be adding them to list for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look amazing! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  6. Found you on Finding New Friends Hop!
    Me ----> www.littlecrunchy.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goodness! These look so gooey and delicious. I'll bet the chocolate chips really puts this over the top. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gooey bars are a family favorite, and I love the way you have kicked them up a notch. I always use a cake mix but I think they would be so much better with a from scratch cake. Your photos are making me hungry, Jess.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anything with gooey in the title has to be wonderful. These look so so delicious. Cannot wait to try them. Come over and visit. We have a wonderful pumpkin panna cotta recipe to share.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks SO delicious, I’m book-marking this to make later! I found you via “This Chick Cooks Link Party”. I’m your newest follower and would love a “follow back”!

    Have a great week,

    Jillian @ www.foodfolksandfun.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum yum yum!!! These look great!
    gatheredinthekitchen.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Double YUM! These look amazing! We are featuring them tomorrow at our Seasonal Inspiration party. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just stopping back by to let you know that you were in the top three on Sweet Indulgences Sunday last week. Hope you'll stop by and share another recipe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your awesome recipe is being featured today at CAST PARTY WEDNESDAY by LADY BEHIND THE CURTAIN! Please go grab your "featured" button and don't forget to party with us! ---Sheryl---
    http://ladybehindthecurtain.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look so good!!! I felt compelled to come after looking t the first photo, which I saw at the Lady behind the Curtain's site. The third photo just oozes awesomeness and delicious-ness, it looks so moist and gooey!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just wanted to let you know that I featured your delicious dessert yesterday. Thanks again for participating in the Holiday Sweet Swap!

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks so good, thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. THESE!!!…Now you've done it…I am utterly and completely PERPLEXED as to which of your bar wonders to attempt first (I officially knight you "Bar Queen" by the way…the texture/color of your baked images simply STUN. I have it narrowed down to this wonder (subbing in white chocolate and macadamia nuts possibly…what I have!)…OR your white chocolate macadamia brownie recipe! Which one do you think would impress my husband most…who always prefers a blondie with "The Chew Factor" very "present"?!…Thank you for brilliance…I'm busy pinning away nearly every bar you have concocted thus far!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Blog Design By: